We hear so much about how important web design is to your site. You might be surprised to learn that there’s more to your site than just the web design. Many designers would like you to believe that all you need is a pretty web design to achieve success online. Although web design is certainly part of the equation, it’s not all of it.
No one would argue that when customers arrive on your site your web design needs to make sure that they like what they see, after all, it is your storefront. However, you do have to ask yourself a few other questions.
1. How am I going to keep my customer’s attention and thus keep them on my site? There’s no question that good web design will help you accomplish this. However, it goes a little deeper. You are going to have to have either information or product that engages the visitor and makes them want to stay.
2. What brings customers to my site? You might have put together a good web design but you also need to consider what it is that would bring customers to your site, to begin with. It isn’t just your web design. Traffic comes to your site through the search engines and you need to know what they are searching for when they land on your site.
3. You need to learn how your customers navigate your site. Start with simple navigation on your web design and then once you understand your visitors’ patterns you can change your web design if you need to so it accommodates your customer better.
4. Can people easily contact me via email? Did your web design include a simple form for customers to quickly contact you? Does your web design also include your phone number and other necessary contact information? Working this into your web design requires only the addition of another page.
5. Do you need a checkout on your site? If yes, then your web design will need to incorporate it. That also means your web design will need to ensure your checkout is secure. Don’t try to build your own checkout. Rather invest in one of the many choices on the market.
Remember your web design needs to work not only for your site visitors but also for the search engines. So when working on your web design keep this in mind.